Sunday, September 14, 2008

Time flies when you're....

...weaning a 5 week old kitten! I haven't written in ages!

Wyatt is doing pretty good! We're still having some diarrhea issues even on the meds for it so I think I'm going to do ANOTHER fecal flotation on Monday. This will make poopoo check number FOUR for him, the previous three clean. I guess I'll look even harder for coccidia GR.

On friday after work I had to go grocery shopping so I left him at the hospital for the 1/2 hour I was gone and when I came to pick him up he was sleeping in a little ball in his towels and he wouldn't wake up to come to me. I called his name, I rubbed his back and all he'd do was shake and bury his head! I was so worried so I took him into one of the exam rooms and took his temp...103.4!!! OMG!! So I called the doctor and he had me make up some amoxicillin drops (its the pink stuff we all took when we were kids!) and bring him back the next day to check his temp. (It was normal yesterday THANK GOD!)

The poor baby felt SO bad friday night. He just laid in the corner and shook the whole night, I couldn't even get him to take a bottle!! So before I went to bed, around 2am!, I put some canned food in his cage and went to bed. Around 3:30am or 4am, he woke me up crying and he'd eaten all his food! I was so happy because I'd been SO worried.

The last kitten I fostered died around 4-5 weeks and it was just heart breaking. His name was Calvin Meeps and I called him Meepers! He was such a sweetie. He had congenital heart defects and his lungs were adhered to the wall of his chest in a manner that made it impossible for him to breathe :o( We had to euthanize him because he was in such distress and there wasn't anything we could do :o(

^^^^Thats him someone found him in a Chuck E. Cheese parking loot and brought him in. He was soooo skinny and covered in a nasty fungal infection. I got the infection almost totally cleared up and made the last week or so of his life much better but I was still devastated.

So going through these scares with Wyatt just made me feel like I didn't really want to do foster kittens anymore. I'm so sleep deprived STILL and I just can't wait until he's old enough to go to his new furever home. I love him to death, but its so difficult. Its just as bad as when Bella's sick!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, he's soooooooooo cute : )